Cost is $5.00 per speller/contestant
4th Annual Spelling Bee
May 18, 2019
Rules To Enter Spelling Bee
The 4th annual NW Backpack Spelling Bee will be held in Hendricks Hall located at the Morton United Methodist Church located on W. Main Avenue. The big red church is directly across the street from Morton Elementary.
Check in: 10:30am
Rules During the Bee
1. The Speller must approach the microphone
2. The Speller's time at the microphone has a limit of 2 minutes
3. Time begins when the pronouncer 1st pronounces the word
4. The Speller may request for repetition of the words' pronunciations, a definition, sentence and part of speech.
5. The Speller will Say the word
6. The Speller will Spell the word
7. The Speller will Say the word
**If the Speller starts spelling the word, the Speller cannot make any changes. They may ask to "Start Over" but no changes to the spelling can be made.
8. The pronouncer will not communicate with the speller during the final 30 seconds.
9. The judges will disqualify any speller who does not provide a complete spelling before the expiration of time.
10. The judges will listen carefully, determine whether or not words are spelled correctly and uphold the rules
11. The decisions of the judges are final.
12. If the word is spelled correctly, the Speller will sit back down in their chair to allow the next speller to spell.
13. If the word is spelled incorrectly, the Speller will go back to the audience and sit with family and/or friends.